Friday, April 27, 2012

Hong Kong ReVenture 2012


I must admit... I'm surprised by myself for flying across the South China Sea just to attend a toy show. I do have my own personal agenda for the trip, but still, ReVenture was the main reason I was going to Hong Kong. The trip was an opportunity to spend some bro-mantic time with a fellow collector friend of mine too. We were in Hong Kong from 27 April 2012, and left very early on 30 April 2012. We attended RVHK on the 29 April 2012.

I think we went at the right time, having arrived at 1100hrs, way before the signing as I wasn't really interested in meeting Ashley Wood... a bit of an enochlophobe too. Truth be told, the only person I needed to put a face to a name was Candy (and I did meet her and honoured to take a picture with her). When we were there, the gallery was somewhat empty. We took our time with all the displays, there weren't much people between us and the art work and toys.

In a nut shell, I was glad to be there. I thought I would go only for the event exclusives, but, as my companion aptly put it, the exhibition gallery was a "sensory overdose". Below are some photographs of the items that amazed me: Rex (which I bought and now totally looking forward to its arrival), Maschinen Krueger Kroete (which I am certain I will buy) and all the oil paints (I like 'em but no way am I forking that much money out for prints...) and comic sketches. Though not shown here, I was also amazed by the level of detail that 3A achieved for their Real Steel and Halo figures.

Having said that, I do feel kinda disappointed by the fact that the company seems to be doing better at acquired licenses than their original products. Totem was kinda meh for me. Zombie was nice but not really into statues. I do see the resemblance of MaK's Super Armoured Fighting Suit, Gurren Lagann and Evangelion in the Totem bot that was showcased at the event. Probably going to give it a miss...








































We left after collecting our Set Cs from the reception counter. To our disappointment, the T-shirts were "sold out", and I was unable to buy more than what was offered in the Set. I always thought that ThreeA was somewhat responsible for the miscommunication that misled people into thinking that Set C had 2 T-shirts. The last minute rule-change that enabled people to buy both Sets A and B was cool, but telling Set C purchasers that they only had 1 T-shirt somewhat made me feel shortchanged. I really would like a couple more Tees, but while I was there, the de Plume shirt was already sold out. Solid Death Gold Mask, or Tank Girl rip off, was just pure lame so I gave it a miss. Guess I should be thankful there were still small sized T-shirts available.

Lugging the goodie bag was no easy task. We had to cab from the exhibition venue back to our hotel in Jordan, and then from Jordan to the Kowloon Airport check-in. I must say, whoever conceived the idea of an Airport check-in in the city is a genius.

All in all, a good trip, but I know it isn't in myself to go do something like this again... Below are the reviews of some of the event exclusives that I intend to keep. Looking at how the exclusives are being flipped at the moment, those that I don't want to keep could possibly pay for my stay in HK and make all the efforts of carrying the goods worthwhile. Still on the fence on trading some of these items though...

Below are some related posts:

2 comments:

sweet stuff. it would be awesome if ThreeA sold products that the customer can have in hand instead of waiting half a year to get what one pays for. great pics!

I agree... sometimes 1/2 yr is considered quick. Alas, most of the time I feel the wait is worth it. I do think that their projections are often too optimistic. Just add 3 months to their E.T.A. and it should be about right...!

Post a Comment