Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sideshow Darth Vader


The Star Wars I know was first introduced to me when I was slightly younger than 10 years of age, in the late 80s. I remember watching my father's old VHS tapes of Star Wars recorded from the local english tv channel on an old VCR, repeatedly over lunch after returning home from school. I loved the effects, the costumes, light saber battles, magic lighting from the Emperor, cool looking bots and vehicles and creatures. At that time, I didn't really understand the conflicts and struggles and relationships. Then, like other things, Star Wars became a memory that I eventually phased out of... It wasn't until '01 that I picked up the Trilogy novel (yes, first published in '76 to '83) that it dawned upon me that those scenes I've chucked to the back of my mind, yet vividly remember, were what they were: Epic.

2001 was also the year when I started to collect toys again, having a bit of income and spare time from wearing green. I started with Generation 1 Transformers (which was also a phase I have passed), and by 2009 I bought my first 1/6th, the Hot Toys Iron Man Mark 3. Even though I knew Star Wars figs were around (be it 3.75" or 12"), I never got around to buy them, mainly because I thought they were quite poorly sculpted / designed and never really appealed to me. Recently though, after Episode 3, Sideshow's Vader caught my attention. I've done my bit of research online and was totally convinced that SS's Vader really is the best representation of the iconic villian to be made. Thing is, I've decided to come into the scene too late. By this time, a MIB Sideshow Vader already commands around S$300 in local eBay (and much more on international). It was not a sum that I like to pay, and to be honest I was happy to give it a miss, knowing that its purchase might trigger a chain of buying frenzy that was 12" Star Wars figures.

So... how did I eventually land a Sideshow Vader...? I'll disclose it at the end of this review. But now, the pics and some thoughts about the figure...


Vader's my first and only Star Wars figure, but I've seen enough photographs online to know that he is slightly oversized, towering over the other 12" figures. Some might argue that it is rightly so, but I think he is really too tall... Nonetheless, standing alone with no other Star Wars figures around him, the size gives it a majestic and menacing presence. I loved all the materials that SS used on him, from the high gloss plastics of the helmet and armours, to the double layered cape, and finally the seamlessly (or seam-ful, rather) sewn black astronaut space suit that he is wearing. The buttons were also painted metallic green and red to simulate light effects, a nice touch to the overall black, dark looking figure. There's really nothing to say about this figure that is sculpted to perfection. I'll let the photographs do the talking.









You'll probably noticed by now that I haven't swapped out the interchangeable hands with the others that came with the box, nor do you see the unlit saber hanging from his belt hook. Truth is, I don't have them...! I bought Vader loose as it is.

Vader and I met in a chance encounter at a local retail store called "The Toy Outpost". The retail concept isn't new: If you have something you like to sell, you can rent a display locker from this store, located in prime local shopping centres with high consumer traffic (Vivo-city, in this instance). If your item gets sold, the Outpost gets a cut (something like eBay). I like to pop by the Outpost whenever I'm in Vivo-city, just to check things out... Of the 20 or 30 times that I've been there, I've always been disappointed. Most of the time, the prices are exorbitant, to say the least. It's as though the sellers want to tempt uninformed tourists into buying on impulse.

However, I lucked out last Sunday when I was there. Standing behind rows of other Star Wars 12" figures (lousy ones, such as Windu, Quigon and Asajj, etc) and in the bottom most display locker was Vader. I couldn't see the price tag on him, so I asked the sales assistant to open the locker to investigate. When she told me the price, I almost didn't believe my ears. Was there a cheap Hasbro figure of Vader that was so well made...? Is this really the Sideshow version? Then, all my online research came to good use. Checkered paint-ap on the face, check. Silver and black knobs at the corners of the triangle mouthpiece, check. "Sideshow Collectibles" engraved on the bottom of the display stand, check. Of course, there was a catch. It only comes with the hands it has on, a light saber, and display stand. I can only imagine what has happened to its original owner: Took figure out from box, equipped him with light saber and displayed him. The box, with the unlit saber and 3 interchangeable hands still in it, was thrown away by Mom or Maria, ignorant of the precious items still in it.

This purchase really made me a happy man, which lasted all of two weeks. I still smile whenever I look at it, standing there in my display cabinet. Do I need those extra accessories that it should have? Well, they are probably good to have. However, this here is the bare minimum that makes the figure still collectible, and I paid a good price for it.

Will this figure kick-start a Star Wars 12" figure collection? Hmmm... I do have my eyes set on Boba... maybe an old Storm Trooper or two...

2 comments:

too pricey on secondary market....rather wait.....for the next version which they have just announced they are doing...

No way. Saw the promotional pictures, but must say I'm not impressed. Something weird about the helmet, and way too pricey... With that money, you can probably buy a SS Vader!

Unmasked head looks cool though.

Post a Comment