Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hot Toys Jack Sparrow


The latest from the DX series of figures created by Hot TOys, Jack Sparrow could possibly be the best figure produced by the company in 2011. The Captain is from the movie franchise, the Pirates of the Caribbean, already in its 4th installation. While I don't really like all the plots of the movie (Curse of the Black Pearl being my fav), I do enjoy watching Johnny Depp play the enigmatic adventurer, the very escence of which has been captured in the smirk on his face.

Now, the picture above is actually the prototype that was shown amongst HT's promotional preview of the figure. Between the dopey looking grin in the proto and the smirk of the final product, I can't really decide which I prefer. I do like the gold tooth showing, but the smirk is more often seen in the movie. And, a third interchangeable face is too much to ask... Yes it is. Is it...?


The PERS mechanism still impresses me, like how it did when I rolled the eyes of Heath Ledger Joker couple of years back. It is an innovation in toy design like no other, that really brings life to a figure. Another thing I noticed is that HT uses magnets quite often, from the box to the face, and even the scarf has a magnet to keep it secured as a loop... perhaps an indication of their obsession to keep visible joints and pegs to a minimum. The accessories? Tonnes. Interchangeable hands? 9 of them. The Black Pearl in the bottle is my favourite one, and I was plenty glad when they announced a crooked telescope to be the Sideshow exclusive. Phew! The hair is also sculpted to perfection, probably from all the experience HT's gained from Predator figures.


No details were overlooked when it comes to his costume. Twin belts, one for each gun, and a leather sling for the sword (blade made of chromed metal, unbelievable). Sculpted rings, furry animal skin, lucky voodoo charms and dolls, even the lace that reveals itself through the left sleeve. It is crazy that nothing is spared; some of items that I don't vividly recall seeing in the movies!

Captain Jack Sparrow also comes with the ship's wheel as a display base. Unlike Christopher Reeves Supes, this base is very well designed, sculpted and painted. Take a close look at it, and be convinved that the wheel is part of a ship that has seen the rain, the sun, the Kraken. The timber floorboard only has two holes, which allows the strings on the wheel to go through and secure the wheel to the base (also a nice way to terminate the coil of ropes). Apart from that, HT gives you the option whether or not to display the Pirates of the Caribbean movie logo. Fret not, if you don't like it, for it is secured using magnets (again!), so you won't see any pegs or holes even if you don't display the logo. The figure also comes with a flag pole and ship's flag, which I didn't assemble cause it doesn't really facinate me. Bottom seams of the brown overcoat conceals a wire to add more poseability to the figure.







I'm happy to own this DX, the 2nd from the series in my collection. Even if you are not a huge fan of the movie, I'm sure you'll be blown away by all the tiny details that made the toy an incredible figure that it is. I have Jack displayed standing in front of the wheel, bottled Pearl in the right hand, leaning his weight on his left leg, while his right foot is about to step on the rum bottle lying on the deck. The face? Smirking, of course.

0 comments:

Post a Comment