Saturday, January 7, 2012

Best of ThreeA 2011


The crossing of a year sure makes one recap on memorable events that occurred in the past year. Many toy collectors have also posted their top 10 figures that were released in the past year... Compiled here are what I think are the top 10 figures that were released by ThreeA in 2011. I'm relatively new to ThreeA, having only started collecting in the middle of 2010, and I wasn't too crazy about it too, and didn't sign up for 3AA 2011 (which turned out to be a huge mistake, made bearable with the help of a friend and fellow 3A collector). I do not consider any figures that I do not have in hand, since that would be totally unfair imo... Let's begin!

#10 - 1/6 DW / NW NOM Commanders

At first I didn't really like what I saw on the Internet when the PO for these figures were up. Later, after these guys were shipped, I was given a chance to buy them from a local retailer and I thought, what the hell... It was a small gamble with great returns cuz I grew to become quite fond of these two, especially since their headsculpts were inspired by the two partners of ThreeA, A.Wood and Kim. Besides that, the twin gas hoses plugged into a face mask under a helmet became such an iconic image. Love the spectacles too!



#09 - 1/12 Action Portable Ascended Popbot

I've forgotten the story of this one... I know that they were SDCC '11 exclusives that were later put online for sale, but somehow I didn't manage to get it due to its limited quantities. Later when it was shipped, a fellow local collector offered to sell me his at cost price. I jumped at the opportunity, of course. I also bought a 1/6 Badbot and between the two, I do prefer the Ascended. While the former was bigger and more imposing, the latter had a more interesting sculpt and paint. Would've been better if the left foot on mine didn't keep dislocating itself...


#08 - 1/12 Action Portable Tomorrow Kings - Yellow Hornets

I don't really like 1/12 figures for TKs (no love for the AP Oyas or Hatchery TK)... Them being SDCC exclusives / 3AA figure didn't make things easy for me to get them anyway. But when these guys were offered on Bambalandstore, another "Oh, what the hell..." moment happened and I bought them, thinking to myself they'll keep me entertained in office when I'm bored at work (which rarely happens). Between Unleashed Yo and Hornets, I prefer the racing stripes that run down the Hornets' sleeves. I'm happy that they came with the OG TK hair, a major plus for me. These guys are so poseable and detailed (1/12 swords with sheaths FTW!)... and I really appreciate all the work that goes into sewing the track suits that came with working zips!


#07 - 1/6 Barguest & Fantôme de Plume

I bought them because of the raving comments veteran 3A collectors had for de Plumes, and how the Mr Wood claimed that these are going to be the last of its kind. I know, such words are to be taken with a pinch of salt (much like Wood's claims of figures being the best). The design is pretty unique, with tattered cloth covering the face instead of a gas mask. They go quite well with the DW / NW NOM Coms too. Unlike some collectors, I'm psyched about the simple yet effective X across their shirts. Looking back at the shirt prints produced, some could go really wrong (think AK Bleak Mission), so... simple does it for me.

Though these fellas came with 2 pistols, their hands were sculpted to hold only 1. For the left hand to be made to hold the gun, you have to separate the index finger from the rest of the fingers with a precise incision of your exacto knives, which I did for Barguest. Barguest's helmet came with a slight tilt which irritated the hell outta me, so I had to rip it off, and crazy glue it back after repositioning it to my satisfaction.



#06 - 1/6 JEA Dropcloth & MK1 Square

Disclaimer: Fan of JEA and Deep Powder colourways here. My only 2 complaints for these figures are their lose hip joints (yes, for both my Sq and DC) and the increasing whites on JEA figures. I do prefer them with more green (think WWRp JEA Bramble). The Dropcloth sculpt was one that grew on me over time. When it was first released, I thought to myself, meh... Then I thought, maybe I should get one, and if I were to buy one and only one, it's gotta be a DP colourway. In hand, I loved the articulation and poseability of these guys. The ammo pouches that lined up their waist, finished with a flowing apron below them really gives them look unique.


#05 - 1/6 Popbot Tomorrow King Oyaloper

Like the de Plumes, I decided to grab one of 'em Oyabuns that veteran 3A collectors love so much. The OGs are totally outta my league (2K for a figure? no way), so I thought it was a good chance to see for myself what's so great about these guys. No regrets after that. I hate that I didn't get a couple more of these Oyas (and that I didn't get more Kyokus for that matter) for customizing. Maybe I'm just excited to complete my 1st custom... I don't really think I'll get around to do another any time soon.


#04 - 1/6 Popbot Tomorrow King Wasabi from 7 Bones

Super value-for-money figure. No doubt about it. I threw in a hooded jacket on him for this photo but he looks great without it also. ThreeA threw in an extra pair of hands for his rocket launcher, which I do appreciate alot, since you'll probably ruin the standard issue hands over time if the launcher was forced in. I think any 3A fan who already bought Wasabi will want to continue buying all the remaining members of this 7 Bones gang of TKs and TQs. I know I probably would.


#03 - 1/6 MK2 Squares

Another set of value-for-money figures if you bought the 10-pack. Though I didn't manage to buy the pack, I still managed to hunt down the colourways I want at reasonable rates. These MK2s are really an improvement from MK1 Squares in terms of poseability, which improves their presence in a collection, since they are taller and can be displayed in more dynamic poses. But I do think there's a trade off when the two-eyes became one. The cuteness of the originals were reduced with this cyclops look on the new ones IMO. The paintwork on these figures are pretty well done, at least for the Deep Powder and JEA ones that I've got, and particularly the EMGY one. The bright yellow and contrasting black EMGY icons just pops. I hope ThreeA continues to produce EMGY with bright yellow (with or without red highlights), rather than the dull orange that was offered for the WWRp Armstrong. The next EMGY I have coming is the Grunt (still not in Singapore yet apparently) and Caesar and I'm happy to have PO-ed them.



#02 - 1/6 World War Robot Grunts

I think this might be one of the few original human figure sculpts that was released for 2011. These Grunts are the first of their kind, and they come packing with a great assortment of accessories. I've gotten the Stealth and DP colourways, but only opened the Stealth. Immediately ripped out the helmet's inner lining, which I thought shouldn't have been there in thefirst place. These guys, which I originally thought of as Jin-roh rip-offs (and still do, in some ways), turned out to be so aesthetically pleasing from almost any angles. I look forward to more colourways and variations of them.


#01 - 1/6 Popbot Tomorrow King Slicer Kyuuketsuki

Looking back at my ranking of figures, I seem to give more credit for original sculpts for new figures than anything else. But I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to get a little tired and frustrated with "new" releases that are purely kitbashes of earlier figures. For me, Kyuuketsuki takes the crown for 2011 releases. I love the dark colours, the grenades, blunt blades ninja look on this fella, he's really outta this world. This is one mould that I hope ThreeA isn't tired of milking yet...


DISAPPOINTMENT #02 - 1/6 Popbot Tomorrow Queens Princess & Vanilla

2011 seems to be of great disappointment to me when it comes to Tomorrow Queen releases. The only 2 released were Princess and Vanilla. Compared to earlier releases, I kinda feel they're a step backwards in terms of design. These figures, which are kitbashes of Odayaka, came with a simpler tube skirt and few accessories. Not only that, they came with a major QC problem of peeling matt coat. The qualities that makes TQs so attractive to me are not lost, but when I compare them with Reimi Kawaii, Odayaka, Yumiko and Yubi, Princess and Vanilla didn't bring anything new to the table. Got a Lolli coming, but online photographs don't really entice me... more on that once I have the figure in hand to better judge it for myself.


DISAPPOINTMENT #01 - 1/6 World War Robot Heavy Bramble

Personally, I think the H.Bramble's main selling point is its distinct bulkiness (a small step away from the chubby looking Bramble) and its huge ass rocket launcher. With such a top heavy design, it goes without saying that the joints of the figure must be made very tight, so as to stabalize the figure, especially if the collector decides to mount the cannon on the shoulder. The launcher should also be made light-weight, to reduce the top heaviness and up the poseability. Turns out, this figure cannot be posed in its most basic look (with the cannon on the shoulder and eye looking through its scope), without the owner worrying that it will tip over and either (1) kill someone walking by the shelf if it falls forward or (2) break the launcher fins if it falls backwards. The joints on the robot shoulders are so loose, mine swung like a pendulum at some angles. The tiny legs with loose hip and knee joints are unable to carry the weight of the cannon. Almost certainly, the legs on mine will part and do a split after 10 seconds. In short, I felt that it was a QC disaster. Collectors had to apply glues to the joints themselves to salvage the situation. Only three letters come to mind... WTF.


Surprise #02 - 1/1 Prom Night Disagreement Lauren's Foot

To be honest, I bought it cause I thought it would look interesting standing on the steps at the entrance of my apartment. Turns out, it did become a talking piece when there are visitors to the house... Some samples of comments made: "What's this life size foot doing here?"; "It looks gross!"; "Eeewww, the marrow can be seen!". So after the first comment was made, I normally don't have an appropriate answer to it, which was a real conversation killer... -.-" I would try to explain that it was designed by an artist / toy designer I admire, blah blah... but I'll be asked "So... what's he gonna release next? A hand? A head?" Maybe a boob. Hmmm... Life size BUILD-A-FIGURE!

Lauren's foot was an art-tifact which I wasn't very sure I'll like, and turned out to become something quite interesting and one-of-a-kind. The stunning packaging helped too. All in all, a good buy IMO.


Surprise #01 - 1/6 Adventure Kartel Ankou Police

Ankous are pretty underrated figures, I think. He's my only AK figure in the collection, and honestly, I think he's another original sculpt that I grew fond of. Didn't get the Ankou Exs cuz I know my shelves don't got no space to accomodate 'em fatties. 


Favourite Human Fig - 1/6 Popbot Tomorrow Queen Reimi Kawaii

Tomorrow Queens bring a something different to the 1/6 female figures scene, with their exaggerated proportions. Girls get jealous just by looking at them; I get told that they are anatomically impossible. But that's precisely why they look so awesome. Reimi is my favourite figure so far. I like the clean look, the simplicity in her design, and the red.


Favourite Bot - 1/12 World War Robot Portable Deep Powder Bramble

The robot that got me hooked on ThreeA. Him standing on the shelf in my favourite local retailer's display cabinet was all it took that sparked the chain reaction of toy purchases that's ThreeA. I dare say, the best looking bot that has been made by the company so far. The quality of the figure is amazing. Tight joints, great paint app, kick ass accessories, couldn't ask for more...


So that was it for 2011. For 2012, I know I'll be looking forward to new sculpts of the ladies: TQ Queenie and WWR Supreme Com, and the newly sculpted bot, Caesar. 1/6 WWR MK2 Berties would be something nice too, I hope EMGY colourway will be made available... need a 1/6 gattling gun. And this time around, I'm def gonna sign up for 3AA membership...!

1 comments:

Post a Comment